Because even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Friday, August 18, 2006


The day following the flag encounter, Lecia and I spent a few hours in SLC to check out the Temple Square. Within the square is the Mormon Tabernacle, The Temple, The first Mormon chapel ever built, and the visitors center which is part museum, part interactive conversion arena, and part air conditioned bathroom facility. If the missionaries don't drive you inside to find God, the heat and/or nature's call definitely will. Lecia and I took the guided tour which was free and lasted just under an hour. We were not allowed in the Tabernacle since it was under construction, or the Temple since we are not card carrying Mormons. However we did end up in the visitors center where the tour's climax included a trip up a circular staircase to "heaven". This consisted of a room with a domed ceiling painted to look like the sky, and an 11 foot Jesus statue in the middle. With his arms outstretched, a forward leaning posture, and face looking downward, he was the most intimidating depiction of Jesus I have ever seen. Thoughts raced through my mind of how I could pose in front of the Jesus statue for a photo that might suggest he was angry with me. What a picture! Just as those images formed in my mind, three simple words squelched any fun I might have had with our Messiah, and it was Lecia whispering "don't embarrass me..." At any rate, no pictures are allowed in heaven but we did get some of the Temple, and the headquarters surrounded by an iron gate across the street.

1 comment:

Lecia said...

What?? No mention of the "Don't embarrass me?" comment? That was the best part of the tour. You're cheating the reader...