Because even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Friday, June 06, 2008

Hanging up the Whistle

Next Thursday is our last Track workout on the run team, and it will be my last day as a coach on that team. I have been a part of the TnT run teams for over 5 years so to say this isn't going to be easy for me is an understatement. I really didn't think it would be tough for me. But I have to say, everytime I start thinking about next Thursday I feel a bit of sadness.

The above picture is the Coaching staff at kickoff minus Amy Chang who was probably in China at the time. Ken is on the far right, Carl the head coach is holding the flier, and in between us is Shamal who actually thought we were going to run that day. Greenhorn....

As a coach you wear many hats on the Run team. You are a healer, motivator, psychiatrist, cheerleader, teacher, and the role I ended taking on, taskmaster. I was the "core strength" coach which didn't earn me many friends early on but as the team got stronger they really impressed me. I would take the Ironteam core workouts, dial them down to about half speed, and still be told afterwards that I was too hard on them. Whatever...

At the end of the set I would give them words of running wisdom or things to think about for the upcoming run that weekend. It never ceased to amaze me what a captured audience they always were, hanging on every word. Eyes wide open and zero background chatter. Almost to the point where it was spooky. I really loved that. It really did feel like I was helping them accomplish this massive goal that I at one time thought was impossible. There really is something to helping people do what you love to do. The reward is the look on their faces when they complete their goal, you can feel the happiness beaming off of them. Knowing you had a hand in that is a powerful thing.

I'll definitely miss seeing my friends like Amy. With them I could always count on having some laughs on Thursday. I could get all mushy about all the friends I've made and the amazing experiences, incredible highs and devastating lows that I came to encounter by being a part of the TnT run teams over the years but I won't. Over and over again in my life the same occurrence of one door opening as another closes continues to pace me through my life. As much as I have to look back on, I have way more to look forward to. I refuse to sit around and mope about this, life is just way too short for all that.

Speaking of which...

So when I first bought my bike back in September of last year I took it to Mt Eden road. When I reached the top of the hill I required a 5 minute rest break to catch my breath and gather myself before it was safe for me to head back. Last Wednesday the team went to the same spot for hill repeats. We went up and down that thing 7 times, doing drills each time all the way up. I couldn't help but think of how far we have all come. 80 mile ride tomorrow and my biggest concern is making it back home in time to watch the horse race. How cool is that?

This is me after my 2nd trip up and down the hill when Coach Dan told me to go back up standing the whole way. This explains the "you have got to be shitting me" look on my face.

1 comment:

Silicon Valley Moms Group said...

You don't say why you are leaving. Ironteam from now on? Just wondering!