Because even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Monday, December 03, 2007

UPDATE re: 40

Today I learned that I still got it...

Lately I have been fighting this cold that has not taken my spirit or my energy, but for the first time in my life I have lost the ability to speak. Ever since 4pm on Saturday afternoon, no-one can understand the words that are coming out of my mouth. My lips move and short faint gasps can be detected but that's all I can muster. After all those Raider games, weekends partying in Chico, AD/DC concerts, never had I lost my voice to this extent till now. Taking an Irishman's tongue is like putting a bird in a cage. It's just not natural. It really, really sucks which is why I have decided to absolutely bombard myself with every over the counter cough and decongestant at my disposal. On my latest trip to Rite-Aid I picked up an 8oz bottle of Robitussin, and I am talking about the good shit with the magnetic label on the top that sets off the alarm at the door if the checker doesn't deactivate it. I took the bottle to the register and the older lady scans the box and asks if I am feeling OK. I motioned yes by nodding as telling vocally her would have been impossible. As I pulled out my debit card and prepared myself to answer the question "ATM or credit?" as I have been pre-programmed, this kind, thoughtful, beautiful woman asked me for my ID, as she needed to ensure that I was actually over the age of 21.

For a fleeting moment in my mind this unfolding magic whisked me and this woman from the cold and sterile environment of the fluorescent lighting, X-mas impulse items, and bad muzak, and transported us into a field of sun splashed waving amber grass as we ran to each other, her in a flowing white chiffon dress, and me in my bell bottom jeans, tie dyed shirt, and beads. The sounds "Dawn of the Aquarius" wafting in the background as this gift from God so eloquently bestowed itself upon me.

I got carded today, and man did that feel good. But as luck would have it I can't tell anybody.

Story of my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

40 and going strong! Lets kick some Ironman ass!!! Oh and forget about the swim! Next one will be better! :-)