Because even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

70.3

I received a lot of questions as to why I didn't post anything about the actual long course event when I wrote about practice weekend. I guess even I am getting sick of posting about this stuff. But some folks asked and I do have pics, so here we go.

I met the caravan at noon on that Friday for lunch at Baja Fresh. Sitting to my right is Trista. I know she is my friend because she enjoys mocking me and calling me names.
The morning of the event was spectacular, high 50's, sunny and no wind. The water was so nice, not cold at all.
For those of you scoring at home, I did the 1.2 miles in 42 minutes.

This is me in the second transition after finishing the 56 mile bike segment. No headwinds and beautiful scenery, it was a fantastic ride. The infamous "Nasty Grade" which is a hill at mile 42 or so, wasn't as advertised. It was hard but we have done much harder. The downhill after was incredible. I hit 46MPH! (don't tell my mom...) Bike time was 3:48
Nothing could have prepared me for that run. I have ran after riding before but this was really fricken hard. Not to mention the fact that there are about 30 hills on this damn "run". I ended up walking half of the 13.1 miles in an otherwise embarrassing 2:35.
And this is what I looked like after completing the half Ironman distance on the most difficult course in the country on a 90 degree day. I didn't cramp up or feel bad which meant my nutrition worked and I drank plenty. Dazed, confused, and pretty damn happy I must admit. As a team we stuck around till the last member got in and we were ripe for celebrating, hence the first practice weekend post.

Next week we go back and do it for real, and I can't fricken wait!!!

1 comment:

Silicon Valley Moms Group said...

It warms my heart to know you had to walk on part of the run. Sick I know. Great job!!!